Thursday, September 18, 2014

lesson loop 9.18.14

Middle School - "In the image of God"
This past Tuesday we started a brand new series on humanity entitled "Who am I?"
For our first lesson the Big Idea was: Who am I? I am made in the image of God.

We began by talking about origins. Where we come from plays a role in our character and our purpose. We watched a science video that is in line with what middle school students hear in school or on TV about where we come from as humans. It was evolutionary, and so we talked about how this view (if it were true) would affect our purpose and goals for life.
We then considered another perspective - that of the Bible.
We turned to Genesis 1 and 2 and we considered our origin according to God. We then talked about how this truth affects our purpose and goals for life.

Because I am made in the image of God...

  1. I have responsibility - even teenagers have God-given responsibilities and things God wants them to do for His glory.
  2. I have value - We are distinct from animals and we have immeasurable value not because of us but because we reflect God's image.
  3. I can have a relationship with God - We are the only creatures that this is true for. This is an amazing thing! Are we walking with God?
  4. I am designed for relationship with others - God was in relationship before He created mankind - a relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We are wired for relationship and we need one another. We need to be careful of technology squeezing out real interaction with other people.

High School - Proverbs 3:13-26
We continued in our study of the book of Proverbs.

Big Idea: Skillful, Christ-like living will be a valuable protection for us.

  1. Wisdom is valuable.
    God has put the price tag on wisdom - and it is more than gold, silver, and precious jewels. Even though the world casts wisdom aside, God is the one who defines worth. So wisdom is immeasurably valuable.
  2. Wisdom is protection.
    If we will keep wisdom, wisdom will keep us. Wisdom will be a "bodyguard" for us, and we will be cared for at all time - when we are active and when we are resting. Wisdom will also give us a "holy confidence". We don't need to fear if we are walking in righteousness and obedience to the Lord. One other thing we considered is how personal wisdom's protection is.
  3. Wisdom is God's design.
    If wisdom was used by God to design the universe, imagine what it could do in our lives? Wisdom is a stabilizer, it is life-giving, and is ultimately what is best for us. We know this because God is the Designer. No one knows about a thing more than its designer. We need to trust God, even when it seems illogical; when the wise life doesn't seem like the best life. We talked about the illustration of sex only being enjoyed within the marriage context.


No comments:

Post a Comment