I was reading in Numbers 14 today, and I was reminded of how the Israelites not only failed their God when they lacked faith that God would grant them the Promised Land like He promised, but they also failed their children.
God says this to His people:
30 Except for Caleb the son of Jephunneh and Joshua the son of Nun, you shall by no means enter the land which I swore I would make you dwell in.
31 But your little ones, whom you said would be victims, I will bring in, and they shall know the land which you have despised.
32 But as for you, your carcasses shall fall in this wilderness.
33 And your sons shall be shepherds in the wilderness forty years, and bear the brunt of your infidelity, until your carcasses are consumed in the wilderness.
Yes, the children would enter the land. But it would be up to them to claim it. This was not God's original plan - these children were supposed to grow up in the land. They were supposed to inherit the land from their parents. But instead, because their parents rejected God's Word and lacked faith in God these children had no inheritence, and they would have to fight the battles their parents should have.
A sober reminder to all of us who are parents that we must fight the battles God has called us to, maintain a faith in our God that He will do what He says, so that we might leave a spiritual inheritance for our children and they might grow up in the land of God's favor.
No comments:
Post a Comment