So I came across this article today which is written by a pastor in Maine who has worked with students for a while (Scott Linscott). While much of it is written with the extreme athletically driven parent in mind, I think it is thought provoking for all parents of teenagers to check out.
Let me know if you like it. Or if you think the guy is a jerk. :)
You can find it at Mark Oestreicher's blog here:
http://whyismarko.com/2010/open-letter-to-parents-of-teens/
Mark - I great article and great reminder. It is so easy to get caught up in their education and activities besides youth group and church. I say this as one whose oldest misses youth group from Aug to early November to pursue her favorite activity - music/band. I hope we are showing her the importance of faith and living out her faith by encouraging her to be involved the rest of the year. Thanks for the great job you do by bringing activities she wants to be involved in and is sad she misses!
ReplyDeleteJill
Thanks Jill!
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your partnership in ministry.
Mark
ReplyDeleteThank you once again for raising the bar. You continue to challenge us to be better parents. As I read the article I realized that this deeper than students in athletics. Our choices and priorities teach everyday whether we realize it our not. We can not stop parenting when our children become teens. I think they need us to help them prioritize their lives and use time wisely.
Keep it up, you are doing a GREAT job with our students!
Melissa
Thanks for your support and partnership- to you and Allan!
ReplyDeleteJill,
ReplyDeleteEven though Liz hasn't been able to join us at growth group this fall, I am so encouraged that each time I bump into her online, she always expresses how much she is anticipating being back once band has finished!
It seems she still puts great value on her time at youth group, and I hope that encourages you that you and Steven are helping her strike a good balance in her choices.