I find Red Carpet Night a bittersweet time. We've gotten to know our 8th graders, in some cases for 3 years and we've spent the past year with the same core group of kids. We've settled into a routine of sorts (although you can never call youth ministry routine!). And now it's time to let them go. I know as middle school youth staff, it's not like I'll never see our departing 8th graders again, and I trust them with the high school staff. But it's still sad that things will be different. I can assume the high school staff feels the same way, but added to their situation is the fact that the seniors are going off to college. And for high school staff and parents of graduating seniors, that could be more than a little scary.
But mixed with the sadness is joy. Joy at having been able to see these kids grow over this year and the previous years. To see their faith grow, sometimes through blessings, sometimes through hard-but-good situations. Seeing them learn in an ever-more personal way what it means to be a part of the Church, by interacting with their smaller-scale Body of the youth group. We also get to welcome a new class into the group. And the cool thing is that it's an ever-growing family. It's not like we only care about our middle school or high school age group and once you're out of that range, we don't care. Your kids have been a very real part of our lives for some period of time, and no matter how old they are, we can't wait to hear what God does in their lives.
Last night, Megan and I brought our growth groups together for our final night. At the end, we had the 8th graders sit on the floor in the center while the younger girls gathered round and we prayed for them. It was really neat that one of the moms (Thanks, Jill!) and an older sister joined us. We were "saying goodbye" but with a lot of joy. Salty and sweet. So as we enter this transition time, please let any of us know if there are ways we can pray for you as parents as you go through this time of change in a more head-on way than us as staff!
Erin,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for making this first year in Lucid so great for my girls. They were more than a bit unsure at first, but now cannot wait to come! I know they enjoyed this special night for the two growth groups. Thanks for your time, your heart! You are so appreciated!
Renee